Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Stuff needs haircuts!

When we get towards the month of July in these parts, lots of things start looking super hairy, like they desperately need a barber. As you can see in the shots below, the butterfly bush, knockout roses and herb gardens are starting to look like they need hair appointments! Sure, they're gorgeous when they're overly-full and lush and way too big, but that's not good, really. These types of bushes need trimmed to ensure that they don't grow too large. With the gusts of wind that we get out here, anything overly large will snap in a heartbeat. The herb garden doesn't fall under the "snapping under duress (wind)" category, but it needs tidied up, as well. I'm not really complaining, though, because as wild as these all look, they're really beautiful. They'll get trimmed soon enough!





Today's indulging moment is Baby Oscar. Lookin' like road kill on the bed, but as you can see, his peepers are on me, watching me take his picture. He really can't be bothered to protest, so I take the shot, then get on the bed with him and rub that soft belly. He is so stinking cute. (I love my blanket, a birthday gift from my husband this year . . . . ).


The weather for the next three days is an absolute gift! Low humidity with upper 70s during the day, and the 50s and low 60s at night. Yes! Right now, it's mid-60s with low humidity and the absolute nicest breeze. My July sky is just around the corner, which is hard to believe. We have a sizable home project going on, and it's just dragging because of recent rain delays for the outdoor part to be done. I'm hoping that before the week is out, we have the next phase completed, which means the third phase is about two weeks out. If nothing else, I've learned patience and that you really, really cannot control weather!

No tomatoes yet, but the plants are looking good, and I'm hoping that by the first week in July, we have some nice, plump maters to celebrate the Fourth. The colder, longer spring then the two weeks of unusually hot weather really messed with the garden, so we'll see how it goes. Pumpkins go in soon, something that always marks a turn in time for me. I know that I've mentioned previously how I'm slowly, but surely, becoming a summer girl. I still love autumn, but over the course of time, I've definitely transitioned to a deeper love for the summer months. I still hate the humidity and bugs, but the rest of it is just wonderful.

Been dragging my eyes over a lot of New England style lobster and shrimp rolls. Drool-worthy, for sure, and something I have not had in absolute ages. I may have to make my own version, shrimp-scampi-ish, and use French rolls. Shrimp scampi takes a lot of butter and garlic, but so worth it every now and then. Stuff those shrimp into a roll, top it with the run-off butter and baked garlic and wow! That is divine. Need slaw or potato salad on the side and sliced tomato. That's summer on a plate.

I haven't had a frosty blue cream soda yet, but we did go to Pelican Snoballs for a blue raspberry treat! SO good. They have a menu of over 100 flavors, including some crazy ones like dill pickle! I want to try their chocolate marshmallow one soon, but I felt like summer needed ushered in with a traditional flavor, and anything in blue is pretty for the season! They are only open seasonally, so you have to get your fix during certain months of the year. Also, they'll add cream to any order, so you really can have a cream cherry soda snoball, etc. They have cake flavors, as well, such as red velvet cake, carrot cake . . the menu is huge. Between that and Sonic, summer flavors are more than covered.

I'm so looking forward to our upcoming weather. Hope it's beautiful where you are, as well, and that today is good to you. Sending light and love.
 

No comments: