Sunday, June 6, 2021

It's been weird, y'all

First up, the knock-out rose bush is desperate for some trimming. Not the best picture, but throwing it in here to remind me to have my dad trim it back significantly this coming autumn. It needs a haircut!


I'm not sure what to say about this year's growing season. The one-word-fits-all scenario would be "weird." But it goes beyond weird. We had a REALLY cool/cold, long spring, and our last frosts (not frost but frosts) were in very late April. Apple trees, cherry trees, peonies, etc., were all in bloom or budding out at the time of those three hard frosts. Sadly, those cold nights of 27 degrees nipped the buds. We'll get no apples or cherries this year, and we only got the pleasure of seeing three peony blooms open. This effect will stay with us, as later in this year, there will be no apples or cherries to enjoy. 

At the end of last year, I wrote a post that cautioned people from thinking that the magical turn of the calendar to a new year would make everything from 2020 feel better or go away. While 2020 was a pain in the butt, I never, personally, hated it like so many people. Our growing season in 2020 was phenomenal, and I would gladly take that back over this year's. Ah, well. A year is a year, isn't it? We get what we get, and our reactions and responses to whatever comes along are what matter. The actual year that we are in doesn't really even affect anything. It's just a way to measure time.

I have a new toy in the yard! It is a cold hardy dwarf limelight hydrangea! These blooms in summer are cone-shaped and pale green. In autumn, the blooms tinge blue and pink without having to do anything to the soil! I'm going to have fun watching this one over time. Here he is, freshly planted, and below that picture, you can see from the tag what the autumn blooms will look like. I'm excited about this one, and I really hope it does well. We don't generally have luck with hydrangeas in our yard, but this is supposed to be very hardy and easy to grow in the shade (it's been planted under a large tree). Time will tell!

While there's not a lot new my way, time is flying, always an indicator that you're a bit too busy. I had to share this picture of our boys.  This cracks me up. You have to wonder what they're thinking, just lying there, eyes open, looking contemplative. Probably thinking about getting up to go get a snack. They are cats, after all, and they are big cats, at that. 

I need to make a gallon of berry tea, and there are biscuits in the kitchen that are not going to eat themselves, so I need to grab the vegan sausage and honey and get to work on those, ha ha. I do love a honey biscuit with vegan sausage. Rain later today, so once I get meal planning and prep out of the way, I'm hoping to watch the next installment of The Conjuring (anyone else lost count of how many of these have been made?). It's getting good reviews, and I do love scary movies in the summer! 

I have no ideas for a meal plan this week. I'm thinking it might involve meals that don't require that we go to the grocery store! That is not a chore I relish, which is odd coming from a foodie. I think lunches are covered. I'm going to make tuna salad and egg salad for sandwiches. We also have more Grainger County tomatoes, so tomato and vidalia onion sandwiches will be on the menu, as well. I'm stuck on dinners, but I know there's enough in the fridge and cabinets to get us through the week, so maybe I can avoid the store!

Blessed Sunday to you. Hope your biscuits are buttered and honeyed and go down smoothly! We are very nearly halfway through the year. Be bold and keep going!!

No comments: