Friday, June 11, 2021

Nearly time for the funnel cake and the county fair

Last year when our county fair was canceled, I was really bummed. I completely understood why it was canceled, and - truth be told - had they not canceled it, since we were heavy in the throes of Covid, I probably would not have gone, anyway. Now, here we are, and county fair time is nearly here again! Where did those weeks and months go??!

This year's fair dates are July 26-31st. I'm hoping to head over on one of the dates right as the gates open to see the arts and craft exhibits, the garden growing exhibits, explore the booths, and then eat a funnel cake. I won't be more than four hours, most likely. It's not a huge fair, but it's very much enjoyable. We don't generally stay late enough to go on rides, although I do think a lit-up fairway at night is quite nice. We don't bother with the contests, derbies, pageants or shows. That's where the crowds really flourish, so we'll stay away from those events. On that note, the other factor for going this year is the standing of the variant from India that is now running rampant in the UK. If it's here by July and starting to take off, we'll skip the tradition of the county fair for another year. 

Remember my previous posts about trains in the early a.m. in the south? Here she is! We live near the Nolichucky River, and I have to a cross a bridge to get to work. They are currently working on the bridge and traffic is one-lane now on that road, so things get backed up terribly on our regular route to town. I often go the longer way, which at times due to the bridge work, proves to be the shorter route. The railroad tracks are part of the long route, and I happened to get caught by the train last week. It was nice to actually see the train and say "hi" again. It'd been a while since I'd driven that way, and I love a train. Had lots and lots of boxcars, so that gave me a few minutes of downtime, too, that just let me kind of breathe.

The weekend is upon us, and I couldn't be happier. We get a couple of days of time for ourselves that we get to arrange as we see fit (well, except for curveballs that get thrown at us, always a curveball, isn't there?). We are fantastically soggy, and the humidity has lingered for days on end now. Everything feels slightly damp all the time, and when you go outside, it's like taking an instant shower. But still! It's the weekend, and that's something to look forward to.

The gardens! It's been a really funky growing season due to the unseasonably cold and very long spring that we had. Then, it turned really hot for two weeks, and I think the gardens all thought it was the end of summer, which nudged things to slow down growing! Now here we are, back to our normal, expected temperatures and precipitation for the time of year, and the garden has picked up steam again. It's been plumb crazy. But the large flower gardens are popping to life, and I hope to see a few early blooms by the end of this month. 

More thunderstorms today and tomorrow, then I'm hoping we catch a break on Sunday. I'd like to get outside a bit, if possible. Speaking of going outside, look at my girls, aren't they precious? Due to weather and an illness they all had for a couple weeks, it's been a while since they've gotten to go out and play in the fenced-in area. I have my fingers crossed for that on Sunday if it's dried out enough. They'll be thrilled!

I've been craving butter swim biscuits and may have to make some this weekend. Nothing like them good and hot out of the oven slathered in a glob of strawberry jam and butter or heavily buttered and drizzled with honey. They're baked in a bunch of butter already, so they don't really even need to be buttered when you eat them, but I do, anyway. Just puts them over the top.

Weekend plans are fluid at this point. Too much to get done, so I'll prioritize on Saturday morning and see how far we get! Thunderstorms on Saturday, so that may be a good time to work on laundry and clean out some drawers while watching a movie. Whatever your plans, I hope you have a fantastic weekend, and that time slows down just a bit for all of us so that Monday doesn't roll around too quickly!

No comments: