Sunday, May 23, 2021

The humidity is killing me (not)

We have turned hot! Not warm - hot! Well, hot to me, anyway. low to mid-80s with the potential for two days at 90 this week. I know for people out west, that's not considered very hot, but to East TN, that's hot! We cool off again, eventually, and we have the gift of being in the 50s in the early mornings in this part of the country during a large part of the summer months. Thing is, this heat that has set in has almost no humidity. Now, having said that, we need rain. But I'm not going to lie - in the shade, with 83 degrees, a breeze and 37 percent humidity, you can kind of imagine what heaven will be like! It's very nearly perfect. You don't sweat, the bugs don't stick to your skin, and you don't have the makings of a headache somewhere at the back of your brain that often happens when the humidity sucks. We'll see how long it lasts! It's a gift, that's for sure.

Grainger County tomatoes are already available. Got three big beauties at a local nursery, and I'm all ready with several jars of my Dukes mayo on standby. Nice to know those tomatoes are available until our garden begins producing. They're very good. Not nearly as good as our own home-grown tomatoes (what is, though??), but they taste like the real deal. Along with big slices of Georgia sweet Vidalia onions and sourdough bread, salt and pepper, those sandwiches will be a staple for the next few months. I love autumn, but with that season, I always mourn the passing of tomato sandwiches.

One of my best girlfriends made me an old-fashioned 7-up cake! Here it is, ready to be cut and served with chocolate covered cherry ice cream later today! I'll get a better picture after I pop open the container. I am beyond excited. It's been a few years since I had one of these. I'm looking forward to the nostalgia of the taste. It's a big cake, so this may very well be breakfast for a while, lol (kinda not kidding; I mean, is it any worse than a donut??).

The next three pictures are just an indulgence of the things I love because today is my day. So, I give you Lacey, Oscar and Baby Higgins. I was talking with someone the other day. My job is pretty demanding, and I spend a lot of time working. That's okay, I like my job just fine, even on the hard days. But between the job and the rescues, it doesn't leave a lot of time for self-care. 

I look a mess a lot of days. That works for me, though, because look at these guys. They're stunning. They were all in need at some point. Sickly or abused or vulnerable or all of the above. To take something like that, to make it healthy, to make it feel safe, to make it feel loved is the best thing in the world. I don't care about my gray hair, the lack of makeup, the old clothes. I do, however, care more deeply than I can ever express about these guys and all of our other babies. I'm grateful for a husband who loves them as much as I do and who indulges the heck out of them. This is worth everything to me. This is what will be with me when I am with God. I cannot wait!




The coming week will be a bit different. I'm on a wonky schedule in an effort to take a bit of time off. I'm hoping to gut through some closets and drawers at home and to do some neglected spring-cleaning. I did manage to pull off a small bit of deep cleaning recently, but a couple of rooms I've yet to work on need some attention. 

I'm looking forward to a week of open windows and fans and breezes blowing through the house up until lunchtime, followed by a closed up house, curtains drawn against the heat, and an afternoon scary movie or two. I've got popcorn and Cadbury fruit and nut chocolate bars for the movies. I hope, also, to have that one morning where I throw on shorts and a tank top and head to Sonic for my Ocean Water and tater tots, summer music blaring, moon roof on my old Subaru rolled back, and literally nowhere to be for half an hour. 

I hope your Sunday is lovely and that your humidity is low and you have a healthy breeze. It makes a difference, doesn't it? It feels - literally - like life is so much easier when the weather is glorious. It doesn't hurt to have an old-school 7-up cake waiting on you, either . . . . Love to you!




No comments: